And...this adventure begins like each before it: at the Des Moines International Airport. I am meeting Mrs. E and the 15 students we are accompanying at eleven this morning to begin what should be an approximate 24hr flight time trip to Delhi, India. There we will join others from Canada, Russia, and Taiwan for the 2009 Global Youth Institute (GYI).
I fell in love with the program as a sophomore in high-school when I traveled to Adelaide, Australia in 2005 where I stayed with a lovely host family & attended lectures and programs at Prince Alfred College (PAC). Since then, I participated in the 2006 program in Taipei, Taiwan & was a student teacher last year when the program was hosted here in Des Moines. The Global Youth Institute was created as a partnership between The Friendship Force of Greater Des Moines and the Des Moines Public Schools in 1990 and since then has provided, each summer, opportunities for international students to gather contemplate significant global issues challenging the world today. I remain close to many of my friends met through GYI, international and local Iowans. Last summer, my dear friend Brian from Adelaide stayed with my family for three weeks and I am happy to report that my host sister Amy from Taipei will be visiting in August! For more information on GYI visit Dr. Tom's website at: http://homepage.mac.com/tforsgren/gyi/gyihome.html
Hopefully *knock on wood* the flights will run smoothly and we will arrive in Delhi tomorrow! I'll do my best to update regularly.
Peace.
Claire
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment