Sunday, May 15, 2011

Home in Rome

Rome is my home for the summer as I’m working as an intern at the FAO headquarters before graduating from Iowa State in Global Resource Systems and French next fall. I’m living in the city center in a neighborhood called Trastevere. Located on the west bank of the Tiber River and south of Vatican City, my apartment is in an old convent supposedly built in the 11th century. My bedroom overlooks the Tiber River and the building shares a courtyard with a retirement home. I’m allowed to practice my violin between 6am-11pm when city quiet hours go into effect and police ticket those who make noise. FAO is within walking distance, as is the Rome campus and studios of the ISU design studio. Last week I attended a lecture there on the importance of the Tiber River throughout Rome’s history.

Yesterday, I visited Agricoltura Nuvoa, a co-op owned by twenty Roman farmers located in the city limits of Rome. The farmers fought for protection of their land in the 1970s and it was granted to them after many protests, sit-ins etc. Covering one-thousand acres, the farm is home to sheep, cows, pigs and chicken. Farmers grow herbs, vegetables, fruits, and grains too. The farm operates on an organic system but has recently added a biodynamic systems certification. We took a tour of the cheese production facilities where we tried ricotta and brie as well as ate peas and strawberries straight from the field. Agricoltura Nuvoa is the destination for lots of school field trips and family day trips. There is a little shop at the entrance that sells the products produced at the farm as well as other bio/Italian certified crops. I visited on a Saturday when many families drove over to pick up produce for their meals for the week. I too purchased goodies including brie and honey made on the farm. They complemented each other perfectly while I snacked this afternoon, lounging around the house doing laundry and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment